Saturday, March 19, 2011

Irish Coddle

They don't really get top billing as far as food-focused holidays go, but two of my favorites are St. Patrick's Day and Passover. I'm neither Jewish nor particularly Irish, but I enjoy having an excuse to dabble in flavors, methods, and seasonings that don't generally make it into my dinner repertoire. In past years, C and I have gone all out with briskets, rugelach, and colcannon. This year, contemplating a late St. Paddy's day repast of even more of that delectable potatoes and greens mash, I opted instead for Coddle. The Irish--or maybe broadly Northern European--way of boiling meats with potatoes and various cruciferous vegetables kind of captures my imagination. Another dish that has long been on my list of things to try, for example, is called Bubble and Squeak. I saw a recipe some years ago that looked very veganizable indeed, but then promptly lost track of it. The following stew is a one-dish answer to the culinary injunction of St. Patrick's Day. Here you have starch, protein, and vegetables boiled together in a simple and tasty dish. I should also mention that this Coddle is my version of the one posted by the fantastic Susan V from fatfreevegan.com. Check hers out here, and see mine below:

Coddle (Kinda)

1 pkg vegan sausage, sliced (I used Tofurky beer brats because I was having a lazy day like that and those nice people at Turtle Mountain are just so darned reliably delicious. On a more ambitious day, I might make my own.)
1 medium onion, diced
1 small head green cabbage, sliced
1 1/2 lbs yukon potatoes, cut into large cubes
2 T dried dill
2 1/2 c water
2 veggie broth cubes
1 t liquid smoke
horseradish and vegan bacon bits for garnish

Dissolve the broth cubes in 2 cups hot water. Set aside. Fry sausage in a bit of olive oil until nicely browned. Meanwhile, saute onion in a pot or large saucepan. When onion is translucent, add potatoes and dill and stir briefly. Deglaze sausage pan with a 1/4 c water to remove any bits that are sticking to the pan, and transfer the contents to the larger pot. Top the sausage with the cabbage. Add liquid smoke to the prepared veggie broth and pour the liquid over the cabbage. Cover but don't stir. Simmer for 15 minutes, then check the potatoes for tenderness. When they are cooked as much as you'd like, serve in big bowls topped with vegan bacon bits and a dollop of horseradish. You won't be sorry.

No comments: